The GSMA has confirmed that the Mobile World Congress (MWC 2020) will continue in Barcelona as planned despite the current Coronavirus crisis.
There have been almost 6,000 confirmed cases of Coronavirus, most of which have been in China where there are 132 deaths, however, cases have been confirmed in 16 other countries.
In this context, there is concern that the CMM may accelerate the spread of the virus. The annual show of the industry attracts more than 100,000 visitors from all corners of the world, which requires large amounts of international travel and makes a large number of people mix in a small space.
MWC 2020 Coronavirus
The GSMA has now said that it will follow the recommendations of the World Health Organization (WHO), the Chinese government and the Spanish authorities, while providing additional medical support and disinfectant products throughout the place. Exhibitors who cannot travel to Barcelona as a result of the outbreak will also receive support.
"The GSMA confirms that so far there have been no record impacts on the MWC Barcelona," said the organization. "We strongly urge exhibitors and assistants to implement appropriate guidelines and protocols as suggested by WHO and other health authorities to contain and mitigate any spread of the virus."
Beijing has taken steps to limit the spread of the virus, while foreign governments have begun repatriating citizens in the city of Wuhan and Hubei Province. Meanwhile, the UK Ministry of Foreign Affairs has advised against all trips, except essential ones, to China, while British Airways has stopped all flights to the country.
The MWC begins on February 24 and ends on February 27. You can read everything we hope to see in the program in our MWC 2020 center.