You may have heard many times that team building improves employee experience or engagement. But may not have heard that it can be a key factor in driving growth. If utilized well, it can be a weapon that not only grows your company but also keeps you immune to the competition. Especially, the tech industry being a fast-growing space, it demands stronger organizational cultures and resilient teams to keep the growth curve upwards. Here are 5 ways in which team building can drive growth in tech companies:
- Builds cross-functional teams: No industry operates with a single team and the tech industry is no exception. The product team needs to collaborate with marketing team, sales team etc and vice versa. But collaboration between cross-functional team does not happen without intervention from the leadership and necessary steps like team building events. The teams need to interact and prioritize the organization’s vision to move forward progressively. Team building events allow opportunities for those interactions.
- Keeps the buzz alive: Being one of the fastest growing and changing industries, tech industries needs to keep the buzz alive round the clock. Slow moving teams or unengaged employees can prove catastrophic to growth. Team building activities can keep employees engaged and motivated by bringing teams and visions together. However, it is also crucial for the leadership team to participate in these events.
- Attracts better talent: Employees today prioritize organizations with a positive work culture. As one of the industries that is heavily reliant on hiring top talent to fuel growth, it is important for tech employers to remain attractive for prospective employees. A regular commitment to team building activities can be an excellent HR pitch to attract 10% of the talent.
- Reduces stress and retains employees: Employee wellbeing is today a mandate rather than a checklist activity to retain employees. Senior management in the tech industry are often prone to stress and mental breakdowns. Many also complain of burn out being a common thing. And losing senior management is a hindrance to growth. Organize team building activities and prioritize mental health. Be vocal and committed to it.
- Improves, collaboration, trust, and respect: As a highly competitive industry, it demands highly committed teams to drive growth and revenues. A collaborative environment can go a long way in the overall growth of the organization. When employees trust and respect each other, collaboration is a ripple. Mutual trust and respect can not only building positive culture, but also lasting relationships that benefit the company.
Unlike other industries, the tech industry is a highly competitive one that needs exceptional commitment from employee. A tech employer in a high growth space cannot afford poor team dynamics or team silos. It has to be very transformative and collaboration intensive. Team building helps tech employers maintain the culture and identify potential pitfalls in the team in early stages. Therefore, team building is a crucial component of success in the tech industry.