Legal Requirements for Starting a Halfway House in Indiana

Indiana is among the American states that encourage establishments of halfway homes to help people recovering from drug addiction and mental illness. You are also allowed to open up a home to support the homeless or individuals recently released from prison and yet to reintegrate into society. However, legal requirements can pose serious obstacles to the development of your home if not followed to the letter. This article analyses the applicable regulations you will need to follow for you to start and run a halfway home in Indiana.

Find the Right Location

The zoning laws determine appropriate locations for halfway homes. Depending on the number of individuals you want to accommodate, be sure to research thoroughly about the laws to ensure that you choose the right place for the establishment of your home. In Indiana, different homes are allowed in different areas. There are some areas where only single-family residences are allowed, while others allow single-family and two-family residences, for instance, a duplex home.

 It is advisable to find a location where halfway houses are already operating and consult the operators about the type of residences and the design requirements before you start yours to avoid future inconveniences. Where you have identified a suitable place for your home, but the regulations seem unfavorable, you can also consult the Planning and Zoning Office and find out whether you can apply and secure a special exception permit to allow your operation based on the category of people you wish to accommodate.

READ  Your Guide to Drinking Without Leaving Your House

Operation License

Once you submit your license application, the Indiana Affiliation of Recovery Residences (INARR) will review it to ensure that all documents are available, then plan for inspection to see whether you have met all the requirements and provide written documentation of the inspection results. If your home is approved, you will be notified officially about the certification and INARR Associate designation. You will then apply to become a certified provider through the Department of Mental Health and Addiction.

Home Requirements

If you have bought a property you wish to turn into a halfway home, ensure the following before you open it to any resident:

  • Consult an expert to ensure your residence complies with the applicable Americans with Disabilities Act requirements. Your home should have enough space for the number of individuals you wish to accommodate, and Wheelchair ramps should be installed in designated places to ease the movement of people with less mobility.
  • If there are substantial repairs that need to be done, hire professionals to effectively do the renovations. Ensure all tearing walls, cracking floors, and leaking roofs are fixed to make the home safe for residents.
  • Acquire liability coverage to protect your home in case of injury, lawsuit, or damage. Consult a legitimate insurance agent for the best option you need for your home since the levels and types of insurance differ depending on your needs. But before you make a deal with the company, ensure it is licensed and provides the services that suit your needs. Check independent rating agencies to find out whether the company you choose is financially stable to protect your property.
  • Have detoxification interventions to help any resident that needs the service before entering the residence or relapses while residing at home and needs help.
  • Avail Medication-Assisted Treatment for residents who depend on the treatments to improve their recovery process.
  • Get in touch with a professional doctor to help your residents get effective treatment in time whenever they need it.
  • Have an efficient case management system to assess, monitor, and arrange substance abuse treatments and community-based recovery services for residents.
  • Link up with various community-based faith organizations and make proper arrangements for those who would like to visit those institutions to do so.
  • Hire qualified staff to handle residents according to their needs. Ensure the staff are of sound mind and have no criminal records.
  • Have a good neighborhood policy that outlines all strategies put in place to ensure your residence will comply with all the community regulations to avoid any inconveniences.
READ  Master Data Management: A Beginner's Guide

Operation Policies

Before you open your halfway home, you will be required to have policy documentation that clearly indicates the following:

  • The criteria for admission of residents; whether it will be based on interview or assessment.
  • Alcohol and Drug Use Policy clearly indicating the list of prohibited items within the home.
  • According to confidentiality laws, the policies put in place to ensure information gathered from residents remain private from unauthorized individuals.
  • Your home has plans to protect and promote the rights of residents, including the right to enough and healthy food, clean water, quality health, a safe environment, and timely information on matters that affect them directly.
  • Procedures during discharge of a resident after attaining full recovery.
  • Good neighbor policy to enhance good relationships and conducive working environments. You will be required to give your neighbor your correct contact details to allow them to report any concerns when noticed, for example, use of offensive language by your residents, loitering, destruction of property, or drug abuse. 
  • The procedure that residents should follow while presenting a grievance, for example, negligence or abuse by staff, and the action that must be taken against the staff if found culpable.
  • Parking policy showing how residents should park their vehicle to avoid any inconvenience.
  • The fees residents should pay. Give every resident a document that explains in simple terms the amount they should pay at the end of their stay and how to make the payment. If there is a deposit they need to make, explain to them to avoid any inconvenience.
READ  Why Should You Track Your Construction Assets

Get help starting your halfway house todayAre you looking forward to opening a halfway house in Indiana but wondering where to start? You don’t need to worry. We understand the nitty-gritty of halfway home establishments and can help you bring your dream into reality through training and one on one assistance. Contact us today to get your real estate investment off the ground and running and enjoy the financial benefits that will come out of this unique opportunity.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts