BBC has announced that Ncuti Gatwa will be the next Doctor Who star. The actor, who is known for his roles in the television series “Eric,” was chosen by executive producer Chris Chibnall and Doctor Who showrunner Matt Strevens.
Gatwa expressed his excitement about the role, saying “I’m over the moon to be a part of this iconic show and to work with such talented people.
The plotline of the Doctor Who
The Doctor Who series has not yet been revealed, but Gatwa is set to make his debut in the show’s Christmas special.
This marks a significant change for the Doctor Who franchise, as Gatwa is the first black actor to be cast in the titular role. In an interview with The Guardian, Gatwa said he hopes his casting will help encourage young black viewers to see themselves represented on screen.
“It’s so important that young black kids see somebody like them playing the Doctor,” Gatwa said. “The Doctor is an iconic character and I hope by seeing me in the role, it will inspire them to believe that they can be the Doctor too.”
Names of the characters in Doctor Who
Here are the celebrity’s names mentioned below:
- The Doctor as Matt Smith
- Thirteenth Doctor as Jodie Whittaker
- The Mastera as Michelle Gomez
- Clara Oswald as Jenna Coleman
- Eleventh Doctor as Matt Smith
- Amy Pond as Karen Gillan
- Twelfth Doctor as Peter Capaldi
- First Doctor as David Bradley
- Rose Tyler as Billie Piper
- Tenth Doctor as David Tennant
- Captain Jack Harkness as John Barrowman
- River Song as Alex Kingston
- Martha Jones as Freema Agyeman
- Donna Noble as Catherine Tate
- Rory Williams as Arthur Darvill
- Nardole as Matt Lucas
- Dan Lewis as John Bishop
- Harriet Jones as Penelope Wilton
- War Doctor as John Hurt
- The Curator as Tom Baker
- Danny Pink as Samuel Anderson
- Tish Jones as Gugu Mbatha-Raw
- Sixth Doctor as Colin Baker
- Bill Potts as Pearl Mackie
- Graham as Bradley Walsh
- Ryan Sinclair as Tosin Cole
- Sally Sparrow as Carey Mulligan
- Wilfred Mott as Bernard Cribbins
- Winston Churchill as Ian McNeice
- Miss Evangelista as Talulah Riley
- Sergeant Benton as John Levene
- Ood Sigma as Paul Kasey
- Lynda Moss as Jo Joyner
- Dalek operator as Gethin Jones
- Strackman Lux as Steve Pemberton
- Zu-Zana as Susannah Constantine
- Grandfather Paradox
- Private Harris as Clive Standen
- Yazmin Khan as Mandip Gill
- Cyberman #1 as Gethin Jones
- Rita Connolly as Debra Gillett
- O’Donnell as Morven Christie
- Carter as Richard Dillane
- Ashildr as Maisie Williams
- Leo Jones as Reggie Yates
- Clara as Jenna Coleman
- Jackson Lake as David Morrissey
- Vincent van Gogh as Tony Curran
- Daleks as Nicholas Briggs
- Bill as Pearl Mackie
Ncuti Gatwa is the first Black actor to play a Doctor in the BBC series “Doctor Who.”
Doctor Who fans were given a special treat on Sunday when the BBC announced that Ncuti Gatwa would be taking over the iconic role of Doctor Who.
Gatwa, who is best known for his role as Eric Effiong in the hit show Sex Education, will become the first Black actor to play Doctor Who in the show’s fifty-eight-year history.
Fans were quick to praise the BBC for their choice, with many taking to social media to share their excitement at seeing a Doctor Who who more accurately reflects the diversity of the show’s audience.
Gatwa himself seemed overwhelmed by the news, tweeting that he was “beyond excited and honored” to be taking on such an iconic role.
The announcement comes hot on the heels of Jodie Whittaker’s announcement that she will be stepping down from the role of Doctor Who after three seasons.
The future success of the Doctor Who
The Doctor Who franchise rests in the hands of its new star, Ncuti Gatwa. Doctor Who fans around the world are waiting with bated breath to see what he will bring to the role. One thing is for sure: with Gatwa at the helm, Doctor Who is in safe hands.
Also, the fans of Doctor Who on social media platforms have been sharing their excitement for the new Doctor, with many saying they can’t wait to see what he will bring to the role.
We can’t wait to see Gatwa take on the role of Doctor Who and we’re sure he’ll be an amazing Doctor.
Are you excited for Gatwa’s debut as the Doctor?